Just… stitching away…
I have found it convenient to corral my thread lube, thimble and thread into this little ashtray–I’m much less likely to drop something. And the thread snips are a new tool which are well worth the $3.29 impulse buy.
I don’t have a quilting room/ studio–except in the sense that I have a quilting room which is also a living room and a dinning room and a library, etc. etc.. The one bedroom apartment I’m in right now is a big step up from the one room cabin I lived in for a few years, but it still feels small quickly once I open up the sewing machine table, and set up the ironing board, and set up the clothes rack for fabric, and take over the table with my cutting mat.
A couple of days ago, I became sick of all the mess and extra stuff out in the room. I moved two small projects forward to the hand quilting stage, so that I could pack things away and have a few low-impact things on the go. There’s the top and bottom for the Modern Crosses cushion I’m making, as well as another cushion top to match the first quilt I made a few years ago.
I used 505 basting spray to hold the sandwiches together. I’m a big fan of this stuff: better quilting through modern technology! The sandwich backs are pieced out of that creepy teddy bears fabric.
I really like this stage of a quilting project. It’s so nice to just settle into the couch with a project on my lap.
When I first started quilting a few years ago, a kind acquaintance gave me a large bag full of stash fabric. Most of it isn’t to my taste, but having some odds and ends at hand has proved helpful. I went digging through the stash bag last night and rediscovered this horrorshow:
This print is the stuff of nightmares, right?
All the little animals just look so sad and dead inside.
The bears are particularly creepy–there’s just something so glassy about their stares.
They are soooo stoned, right? I’d sort of like to make an ironic quilt project and stitch a little X over each eye. It would be so weird–but probably an improvement.
For the moment, this fabric and another ugly bears print will be used for lining inside my Modern Crosses cushion.
I hit the pause button on the pink and orange quilt I’ve been working on. The top is now pieced into four strips, waiting for me to figure out what to do for the backing–a not particularly easy question to answer when the nearest quilting shop is 550 km away.
In the meantime, on to the next thing: this afternoon I started piecing together a cushion cover. Someday I’d like to make a quilt that coordinates with my very traditional living room rug, which sort of goes against my fondness for very bright, very rich, very fun quilting fabrics. So I picked up half a dozen fat quarters recently just to play around with.
I’d like to pick out the blue and cream shades in the rug–more red would just be overwhelming. I love the look of Modern Crosses quilts; I had been ogling pictures of them without thinking about instructions or a specific pattern, so it sort of blew my mind when I read this post and discovered that Modern Crosses are just a variation on the log cabin block. That’s just too easy! Of course I’d love to get the book with the official instructions, but I’m not letting myself buy any new books until after I’ve moved in a few months.
So for now I’m just making a little 16 by 16 cushion cover and figuring out the crosses for myself–with the occasional silly mistake.
I find these blacks way too busy with the patterned backgrounds. I have such a funny mental block when it comes to picking solids and neutrals–I’m so into the patterned fabric that I forget to choose a few plain fabrics that would help the patterns really stand out. This is why a test cushion is a good idea for me–when it comes time to shop for materials for the full quilt, it will help guide my usually impulsive fabric purchasing tendencies.